Friday, January 6, 2012

Back to the Basics

I, like many, love the New Year. I love a fresh start. I like a spring clean. I secretly like Mondays.

This year as I rang in the new year by myself and baby free, I got some rare moments of complete silence and nothing to do. Before I could get too far in my list making and goal setting, I felt that still small voice whisper, get back to the basics. This past year felt like a bit of a holding pattern. Although there was much change with becoming parents, I feel like I was just winging it most of the time, and circling around the same mountain over and over. This year not being as much of a novice mom, I am ready to be more intentional. This year marking a decade of being a Christian, I am finally coming to the end of myself and beginning to understand, John 15:5 "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."
I am all too often tossed on the wind of doubt and indecision described in James 1:6, "But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."   instead of residing in the place of peace beside sill waters.
I know I will not master this in a year nor a life time but I am resolved to begin by knowing the text I proclaim to believe and follow, and therefore the One who wrote it.
My tangible plan is to read the Bible in a year. Admittedly I have tried to do this many time before and therefore have read Genesis, Exodus, and Leviticus many many times. This year I pray my results are different and daily ask for help in not only the completion of the task but a joy in doing it.

Also in the spirit of discipline and getting back to the basics, I have decided to try and do something "physical" everyday. Even if it is only 10 push ups, a brisk walk, or a full on work out. With a complete understanding of my limited time and usual lack of motivation, I recognize something is better than nothing. Hopefully the little bit will turn into a little bit more and eventually a happy, healthy, habit. I want to be alive and mobile and healthy when I am a grand mother and a great grand mother, God willing.

In an effort to set myself up for success, I am fasting television for 30 days, to maximize my free time. I am also listening to only Christian music for 30 days to constantly remind my soul to worship and hunger for the Truth.

And if in 9 days I am already off track, I am grateful God gave me another new beginning unique to me. My 28th year surely will be a year of new beginnings.


No comments:

Post a Comment